Subject: Re: ARGSUSED and friends
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/10/2000 13:15:54
> Do we have any policy on the use of lint against the kernel, and
> adding lint commands to the kernel for that purpose?

> I ask because I'd like to strip all the /* ARGSUSED */ stuff out of
> sys/arch/pmax - it's used in maybe 4 or 5 files.

Do we ever want to build the kernel with anything but gcc?  (Even the
early stages of a porting effort can, I would guess, be assumed to have
gcc available.)  If we can assume gcc, why not just use -Wunused when
compiling and __attribute__((__unused__)) where appropriate, and ignore
the issue wrt lint?

I certainly find gcc with appropriate options far more useful than lint
for doing lint-type checks.  (My preferred set of options is -Werror -W
-Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-sign-compare
-Wno-missing-init, but of course that may not be appropriate for
everyone's style - and even for mine, -Wcast-qual is a pain when I want
to free a pointer-to-const.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca