Subject: Re: NetBSD ported to MPC860 / MPC8260?
To: Randy Devol <randyd@rahul.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/10/2000 10:39:27
On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 02:10:50PM -0800, Randy Devol wrote:

> >Being targeted at the embedded world, however, they don't have hardware
> >floating point or the large-block memory mapper (I forget what this is
> >called, exactly).  They do, however, have some cache and the small-block (4k
> >byte) MMU with a TLB.
>
> They are call Block Translation Tables, or BATs.  The 850/860 have a
> minimal MMU implementation, with no hardware support for marking blocks are
> read or modified (except by causing an exception).
>
> The MPC8260 has a core identical to the 603 (or pretty darn close).  It has
> BATs and the same MMU as the 603.  Porting NetBSD to a platform using the
> MPC8260 should be a piece of cake.

The existing NetBSD/*ppc pmap modules make heavy use of the BAT registers
to map the kernel address space 1:1 (because the translation is off during
interupt servicing, anyway); you will need to rewrite that one for the
BATless cpu version.

	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of