Subject: Re: On-disk time_t
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/07/2000 16:03:21
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:

: I think we should create a new type `dtime_t' for use in on-disk
: filesystem structures so we can migrate time_t to a 64-bit type
: eventually without impacting filesystem formats.
:
: Thoughts?

This is fs-specific, and you're really caring about keeping the size of a
time variable the same, so we should just make the on-disk structure use
int32_t.

IMHO: all structs used to map a block of raw storage data into intelligible
numbers, such as those used for ufs, should use explicitly sized integers,
and *never* things like time_t, size_t, int, long, and the like.

Of course, slapping a struct onto a set of N bytes read from disk is a very
non-ANSI way of doing things, but I digress.  ;)

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)