Subject: Re: Small Kernel Help
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/06/2000 04:32:12
On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Grant Stockly wrote:

> Would anyone mind helping me isolate the most important parts of the NetBSD
> kernel?  I want to attempt to take out most support (all networking, all
> peripheral support...) and get it down to 120k.
>
> I want to make this ROMable with support for a custom flash file system.

  Hmm... this may be difficult.  120k is very small... with a 1 block
memory disk, isa bus, npx, pccons, EXEC_ELF, I386_CPU, and -Os I can get
an i386 kernel down to about 540k (I believe this is the minimum for an
i386 using config).  The 68k ports might be smaller then this to start
out.  It looks like little bits and pieces of quite a few other things
were pulled in because something depended on them, so rototilling this
should save you some space.  And you will save more space by having just
your fs code.  But you will probably need quite a bit of effort to get it
to 120k (just UVM probably takes up most of that).

  What type of application are you going to be running on it?

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net