Subject: Re: savecore_flags="-z"
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/1999 12:12:10
> Or perhaps someone could implement the Digital Unix hack of only
> saving pages used by the kernel -- which would generally result in a
> much smaller dump.

It could also lose crucial information, because what you'd really be
saving is pages the kernel thinks are in use, and its idea may be wrong
for any of many reasons - indeed, perhaps that's the very bug that
caused the crash.

On a slightly different note, has anyone - on NetBSD or otherwise -
ever tried restoring a kernel coredump?  That is, reading it back into
core and resuming execution?  If done right, this could give us a
mostly-MI pause/restore facility, of a sort.  (Yes, there are endless
potential problems with it, maybe severe enough to make it not worth
doing.  But I don't know whether they're bad enough in practice to
render it useless, whence comes the question....)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca