Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: API for environmental sensors
To: Bill Squier <groo@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/1999 00:02:31
> I'm still unable to retrieve the SAF-TE bits.

Same here.  "A network error occurred."

> Is it accurate (Matt?)
> to say that what is being advocated is to make ENVSYS 1.0 return data
> and accept configuration in an SES-like manner? (i.e., every device must
> accept SES commands and return results using the data structures described in
> ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/ses/ses-r08b.pdf)

That's not what I'm after.  I'm after a generic interface for
environmental controls that is hopefully generic enough to be useful
for at least basic control of SES devices (both read and write).

When I looks at what you were after and thought about what I think I'm
going to be wanting in the near future, I thought of the little bit of
work that I did recently with the mixer (porting a gaming library over
for FlightGear :-).  The complexity seemed similar to me and the mixer
interface grew on me as I worked with it some...

> Many environmental sensors have no idea what physical phenomenon is
> attached to a particular ADC.  This sort of structuring is necessarily
> provided by userland.

That would seem like a natural for adc0/adc1/adc2/etc.  If other devices
_do_ know what they're controlling, then we can plug that information
in.  I like your notion of being able to configure the names at run-time.

-allen