Subject: Re: ffs & directory gids
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/05/1999 21:27:48
To clarify before misinterpreting me (two people already have :)...

: I proposed something like this a while ago, and now that I have a little
: time to get some pending ideas done, I'd like to propose a ffs (and related
: fs's) mount option
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
[without changing the default behavior]

: that can turn on SVR4-style directory entry gid handling.
: That is, files created in a directory have the owner's default gid, not the
: gid of the directory, unless the directory itself is set-gid.
:
: This would also involve adding appropriate set-gid bits to the base mtree
: files, so that the proper places would work as expected if the option were
: turned on for /                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[manually, by the administrator, not by the OS or installer].

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)