Subject: Re: ffs softdep & our ext2fs ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/27/1999 15:42:57
On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 02:38:59PM +0300, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> how hard it would be for our ext2fs to use the softdep engine ?
> Note that ext2fs may be fairly easily changed to share big part
> of code with ufs & ffs.

It's possible. But not trivial. There are some problems with the
softdep code that need to be dealt with, it's highly FFS specific
in some parts. And then there are some other things, like it
maintaining one worklist of dependencies, which I think would
work better per mountpoint, but that's unrelated to this particular
issue.

If you want to look in to this, I can give you some pointers to
specific parts of the code to give you a start. You could also
contact Kirk about it Making the softdep code more FS-independent
would be a good thing.

- Frank