Subject: Re: ifmedia on fxp: can ifmedia defeat NWAY and force 10baseT?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/26/1999 15:15:24
thorpej@nas.nasa.gov said:
> It's more likely a bug in the hub's firmware.  When you switch from
> 100 to 10, the 100 link goes into fail state, and the hub should
> detect this and restart Nway; the PHY on the card, when hard-wired to
> 10T, advertises only 10T capability in its Nway code word.

What happens if I force my card to eg 100 half duplex? Then the
switch can't detect a link failure and has no reason to restart
nway. I'd say our driver has to initiate an autonegotiation session,
advertising only the bit(s) wanted by the user, if the media setting
is changed.
(Strictly speaking, nway is a property which is orthogonal to
the media setting - it is not clean to associate it with IFM_AUTO.)

best regards
Matthias