Subject: Re: SCSI network
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/1999 15:26:24
> > Still, there may be SCSI adaptors which have a complete initiator
> > implementation, including reselection (after disconnect) but simply
> > don't support target mode.
>
> Does anyone know of any such SCSI adapter?  In particular, does anyone
> know of any such SCSI adapter for any hardware NetBSD runs on or is
> likely to run on?

The QLogic ISP adapters need special `firmware' that supports target
mode.  This firmware is in assembly language and controlls all the
chip's hardware.  QLogic only releases sources under NDA, and you
wouldn't want to start hacking on 30K lines of legacy assembly code
anyway.  I don't know whether it's available for the ISP 1000 (SBus
card), but I don't believe it is.  It is available for the ISP 1040
(PCI), but there are some hardware differences, so I doubt the target
mode firmware will work.  And since QLogic considers the ISP 1000 a
dead product, if it doesn't exist yet it is unlikely ever to do so.

So to answer your question, that's a card that has a complete
initiator implementation, including reselection, but does not support
target mode and is unlikely ever to do so.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me