Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/1999 19:55:27
> >> Sure, if you can afford to throw three or more disks into each of
> >> your boxes (noise, heat, power consumption), you can get along
> >> pretty well.  But, not all the world is an i386 maxi tower.
>
> > Well, in this country IDE drives are < 100$, and surplus 4GB or less
> > SCSI drives are < 200$.  Still, your point makes sense.
>
> As I feel sure you are aware, not everyone is in that country.

That's why I said "Still". Don't turn this into a "bash americans"
campaign...

> And quite aside from that, there are issues of noise, heat, and power
> consumption.  And another one, actually, which is more significant in
> many cases: physical space - not all machines have enough drive bay
> space to load them up with drives.  Indeed, I occasionally see machines
> that have no expansion space at all.

Yes.

Look- I can see there's a need for more partititions- perhaps not as much
for a general market, but the customers (users) of NetBSD seem to see a
need, so it doesn't really matter whether there are other ways of
divvying it up.

I think my old coworker Chuck McManis made some good points. I think a
number of other good suggestions have been made. I'd guess that &my&
takehome recommendation is that if you can make it a minor change with no
perturbation, go for it- great.. If it's going to cause a lot of breakage,
don't fart around with just doubling the partition size- go for a real
solution where you can do a *very* large number of partititions.

-matt