Subject: Re: partition bookkeeping
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/1999 22:10:26
At 20:20 Uhr +0200 04.10.1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>> My question is: do we have to be stuck with 8 partitions (on all except
>> Amiga) until we get an LVM system working? We probably can get a (in my
>> opinion major) step away from 8 partitions to happen in say a month or so
>> (which might make 1.5). An LVM system will take a lot longer.
>
>Why not? It hasn't hurt Sun to stick with 8 partitions and the amount of
>breakage to change a minor amount doesn't seem worth it to me.

Because it's a royal pain in the back to make reasonable use of a > 2GB
disk? Say, you want to try out an lfs for /var/{spool,news/spool,obj}, or
you want to keep an emergency root around, or you want to access partitions
of the native OS. Or, you experience scsi drivers that are far from rock
stable and rather keep X11R6, pkg & friends in separate partitions to
minimize lossage -- no, you do not want to know how long it takes to
re-install a 68030 mac68k box from the MacOS installer.

All that with at most six partition slots (+ 'c' + swap).  =8(

Sure, if you can afford to throw three or more disks into each of your
boxes (noise, heat, power consumption), you can get along pretty well. But,
not all the world is an i386 maxi tower.

	hauke