Subject: Re: Thoughts about wedges
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/1999 10:29:04
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 11:38:03AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> You might want to be able to mount by-worldwidename (or, with the AMiga RDB
> scheme, by the partition name).

To an extent, the same thing works with MacOS partitioning.

> This need not be a kernel-function. Whatever process inserts wedge information
> into the kernel, can update this information.
>
> (e.g., create symbolic links, or symbolically named device nodes, in a
>  subdirectory of /dev).

Well, we still haven't gotten around the permissions problem.

If we go with wedges on their own major number, then we will need to have
a userland database with the persistant (sp?) node permissions. To do it
right (you use chmod/chown to adjust permissions), we'll need a devfs
which stores info in a file.

While we can do that, that's a big step. :-) And one no one has stepped up
to do..

Take care,

Bill