Subject: Re: SCSI network
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Tom Rushworth <tbr@mannynkapy.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/1999 20:27:28
On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 02:08:42AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> I'm contemplating using SCSI interfaces as a networking medium.  Does
> anyone have any thoughts on where I should look for (a) convincing a
> machine that it should speak on other than ID 7 or (b) convincing a

I have a very vague memory of seeing one of the SPARC machines with
a boot monitor command that was possibly for this.  I'm probably
wrong (it was long enough ago that I can't remember the SUN terminology
(open-boot?), but it might be worth a look.

> machine to respond as if it were a drive, ie, to respond to another
> device on the bus attempting to contact it?  If necessary I'm prepared
> to make the link asymmetric, with one of the hosts distinctly in
> control of what happens, though I'd prefer to avoid that.

My memory on this is pretty foggy now, but 6 or 7 years ago I was
looking at this for the pc532.  I ran out of time before accomplishing
much, but did end up with a copy of the draft SCSI-II standard
(X3.131-199x) that actually talks about processor devices and host
to host communications.

You might look into the SCSI standard supported by your chips, and the
chip's data sheets to see if processor devices are supported, and if
it makes your goal any easier.

I'm still very interested in this (my pc532 could certainly use it), but
I haven't managed to find wherever I put all my spare time when I changed
jobs :(, so I can't offer much help.  I can probably find just enough time
to be an apha/beta tester if you have any use for one.

--
Tom Rushworth