Subject: RE: SCSI network
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Yubyub Bird <yubyub@mail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/1999 07:32:41

[snip]

A quick note, I did a similar thing w/scsi IDs on my alpha 200 4/166.  I had
the internal NCR adapter set to initiate on SCSI id 6, and I added an
adaptec 2940UW to initiate on SCSI id 7.  Then I chained the system disk,
the ncr and the adaptec together, and taught the kernel only about the aha.
This way I could boot off of the ncr via the SRM, and use the faster (ultra)
mode of the aha when I was booted.  Pretty nifty for a one card hack, I
think.

Maybe not relevant, but that's my $0.02.

And a second question: a year or two ago, I was working at a place where
they had bunches of Sequent machines.  These machines could share disk packs
connected only via scsi - no proprietary busses AFAIK.  Each machine was
able to mount the same volume read/write.  What would be involved in doing
this?  Is this just a filesystem feature, or is there a more complicated
SCSI locking protocol which takes place?

-Jon Lindgren
"My employer apologizes for their love of markup."

"Amo la sfera rossa del mio cane."
FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com