Subject: Re: renaming /boot to /boot_
To: None <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/1999 01:08:31
In message <37F30754.D4AD4214@ics.muni.cz>Jaromir Dolecek writes
>Jonathan Stone wrote:
>> Is this x86 or sparc? On other machines I use, if you boot from
>> floppy, you're gonna get the 2nd-stage bootblock from the floppy, not
>> the hard disk. Hm. Isnt that how i386 works, too?
>
>i386. If that's how it works, it's of course non-sense
>to look for both /boot and new secondary (whatever it is).
>Looking for just the new name seems enough to me.

Not entirely. On some ports `installboot' is a no-op (since the
secondary bootstrap isn't pinned); on other ports, installboot updates
the primary. A restore (say), or an interrupted upgrade, or developer
hacking, could leave a disk with both old, and new bootblocks (/boot
and /boot.${MACHINE}).

Which one does the primary load?