Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/1999 00:53:34
>> *Ask* me to, and I (probably) will have no problem with it.

>> *Demand* that I do so, [and I push back]

> I don't have quite so much faith as you appear to do in the users and
> abusers of intellectual property.

I don't quite see what it is that you think I have so much faith in.

> Or maybe it's just the degree to which I've been abused in this
> department in the past.

Possibly.  More likely, I think, is that I care more about helping
others and less about cash-on-the-nail rewards.  (Though goodwill can
be a pretty substantial reward over the long term, as I'm learning.)

I did a port of X11R4 to the `black' NeXT 2bpp hardware, back when
X11R4 was where it was at.  A company called (IIRC) Pencom shortly
thereafter came out with an X11R4-based NeXT server for such hardware.
I'm told it was based on my work (though they had done a lot of work
themselves).  I have no idea whether they credited me in any way; they
didn't say and I didn't care enough to find out - it was, and is,
enough for me that my work helped some people.  (I don't mean Pencom;
there have been other people running my code directly as well.)

So, was I "abused"?  Whatever.  I still hold the position I do.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca