Subject: /dev/fb, rcons, and changing resolutions
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/12/1999 07:26:19
The sparcbook supports multiple resolutions (640x480,
800x600, 1024x768, 1152x900) and various bits-per-pixel
value (8,15+8,16,24,32). It would be nice if there
existed ioctls for /dev/fb to list the supported
resolutions&depths and then an ioctl to select one.

This leads into a different problem: how does one
inform rcons that the format of the framebuffer is
different and it needs to select a new set of rasops
that are appropriate for reconfigured display.

Speaking of rcons, it would be nice to be able to tell
it what to use for fg pixel and bg pixel. Also if it
could keep (at least) a screenful of the display in
memory so that when /dev/fb is closed, the screen could
be refreshed. (I assume wscons supports this for
alternate VTs).