Subject: Re: Line & file debugging info for vnode locking.
To: Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/11/1999 11:35:50
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Julian Assange wrote:

> If you don't have sources handy, or are unaware exactly what date the
> kernel sources reflect, then __FUNCTION__ is highly useful, because
> it is *conceptual* rather than merely numerical, and concepts drift
> slower as source code evolves that do line numbers.

The devil's advocate in me points out that the line #'s will make little
sense w/o knowinbg the source version. And as a routines can easily have
multiple locking calls, just the name's not enough.

> That an average user can explain immediately what function an assertion is
> failed in is valuable. Futher if they see several failures in ip_optlen(),
> they will mentally categorize this more narrowly than several failures in
> "ip_output.c", as line numbers are not memorable, the context becomes the
> entire file.

Well the problem is that we really won't be shipping LOCKDEBUG kernels -
the size of most of many structures will change (to add the locking debug
info). So if you've got lock debugging info, you've got source somewhere.

:-)

Take care,

Bill