Subject: Re: Kernel "vanity" config files
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/1999 10:42:20
>> A file in /etc does not address the needs of someone with one
>> machine and a boot floppy, because without already making the boot
>> floppy boot, the user can't modify the file in /etc!
> under current boot floppy structuring, correct.
> interactive config has a problem saving the configuration changes
> (where should we save the change).

Either nowhere (which may be good enough for the install floppy) or in
the kernel image itself, it seems to me.

For the latter, we could have config generate enough information to
make it possible to rewrite the device config table in the kernel
binary.  I've done this by hand on occasion (patching the data
structures that came from ioconf.c), but to do it reliably would mean
never things like collapsing identical locators and keeping locator
names around (I think they already are, but not in a way that's useful
here).  If done, this probably should be conditional on a kernel config
option, BOOT_TIME_RECONFIG or something.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca