Subject: Re: SGI XFS filesystem
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hitl.washington.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/28/1999 10:26:06
On 28 May 1999, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> wonder if we should create an "fs" directory to put all the non-ufs
> derived filesystems such as adosfs, coda and soon xfs.

But why not put ufs in there too?  And while you're reorganizing, why not
organize the whole thing into a sensible hierarchy, something like:

	/usr/src/sys/fs:
			emulfs:
				{ados,filecore,iso,msdos,nt}fs
				(hfs? hpfs? xfs? vxfs? The possibilities
				are endless)
			genfs
			internalfs:
				{kern,proc,spec,fifo,dead}fs, fdesc, portal
			layerfs:
				{null,umap,union}fs
			remotefs:
				nfs, coda (afs?)
			ufs:
				{f,l,u}fs

It might also be aesthetically pleasing to have the various fs utilities
(fsck, newfs, dumpfs, tunefs, fsirand, etc.) organized in a similar way,
but that discussion has already been had....

Konrad Schroder          http://www.hitl.washington.edu/people/perseant/
System Administrator                        perseant@hitl.washington.edu
Human Interface Technology Lab                    Voice: +1.206.616.1478
Box 352142, University of Washington, 98195, USA    FAX: +1.206.543.5380