Subject: Re: ffs fragmentation
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/15/1999 02:42:45
On May 14, Mike Cheponis wrote
> The advantages of DynaSwap are:
>
> (1) You don't need to have a separate swap partition
>
> (2) You don't need to know the size of any of the disk used for "swap" -
>     the OS dyanmically does it for you
>
> (3) Large (up to the size of unallocated disk space) arrays enable huge
>     datasets.

And, for most applications I can think, this is a "feature" I really don't
want. In fact, I can't see the interest of this. When you set up a system,
you still need to know how much swap and filesystem sizes you need, to
get a disk large enouth. Once you have these values you can set up your
partitions properly.