Subject: Re: MFS over ISO-9660 union mounted with no swap space?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/1999 14:22:47
>But the -other- reason to float the ideas here is to get a general
>concensus "blessing" that something like this makes sense and, if it were
>implemented well, it would be included in a future kernel.

Uh, from what i've read, what I'm seeing is more a consensus that this
doesn't make sense and its not what we want.

The fundamental reason is that the `flexibility' you want acually has
negative utility in many environments.

VM/CMS used a very similar policy for each VM's `virtual memory' on
their godforsaken minidisks: VMs `paged' to unallocated filespace on
their minidisk.  I cant recall that it being anything but an unmitigated pain.