Subject: missing uvm bootstrap function ?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/05/1999 00:24:52
Hi,
  While bug fixing some recent problems I came across the need to allocate
virtual space in the kernel during the booting but lack the required
function. For early memory allocations uvm_pageboot_alloc() can be used to
allocate memory, but there is not a corresponding function to allocate
just virtual space. Before uvm_pageboot_alloc() is called the first time
space can be allocated in a MD way and the pmap can adjust the addresses
passed in pmap_virtual_space(), but once uvm_pageboot_alloc() has been
called the MD code loses control of this space.

Has anyone else hit this problem ? Do we need a new function say
uvm_pageboot_valloc() ? or does this require MD hacks to work round the
deficiency.

Cheers,
				Mark