Subject: Re: Why no unified pmap module for m68k pmmu?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1999 04:01:55
>> Is there a compelling reason to keep individual copies of the pmap
>> code for each pmmu/0[346]0-only 68k ports?

>Yes. Before it can even _pretend_ to work on high-end Amiga (and I
>suspect, on high-end Atari, too), it needs _lots_ of rewriting. Read my
>messages (of last autumn, more or less) on port-amiga for the problem
>description.

Okay. But in the meantime we could merge the mac68k/next68k/mvme68k/x68k
versions (which are all very similar).  And perhaps, separately, merge
the amiga/atari versions.

The places where, eg., cached-writeback handling are different make me
wonder if thats worth doing. Are those differences well understood?