Subject: Re: NetBSD without MMU?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/1998 18:56:55
> > Is it possible to port NetBSD to a system without an MMU?

> There isn't any existing support for MMU-less systems, and adding that
> support would be a significant amount of work, but yes, it's certainly
> possible to do it.

For sufficiently small values of "possible".  There are some features that
really depend on virtual memory (the mbuf allocator, for example) which
become quite tedious to re-implement without VM.  (Granted, my experience
with that predates NetBSD by a lot (i.e. porting the 4.2BSD networking
code to an operating system roughly equivalent to V7), but I doubt that
things have come to rely any less on the wonders of VM since then...)