Subject: Re: delay before cpu_reset()
To: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/1998 04:30:54
On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, David Seifert wrote:
> The real solution is to log the info somewhere.  There is the
> serial terminal with lots of scrollback approach, or use a printer,
> or a tip/cu line from another machine.

Maybe making dmesg not restart from scratch on reboot for all machines
would help here? On some systems (Solaris/sparc, i think even
NetBSD/sparc), i can see old messages after reboot/panic. I think this is
implemented by using the last page of memory for the dmesg buffer, and
unless this memory is cleaned out on reboot, the information should be
preserved (I don't know what die BIOS' memory test does there...).

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>