Subject: Re: delay before cpu_reset()
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/1998 00:44:16
In message <199810091923.MAA05218@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>  Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Oct 1998 20:09:13 +0200
>  Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com> wrote:
>
>  > Yes, (re)booting on a x86 is slow enough we don't have to make it worse.
>  > For a server you want it to come up as fast as possible ..
>
> Slow because reboot/halt currently (and incorrectly) wait for everything
> to die.  That's shutdown's job.

I was thinking about a reboot after a panic, thats what this is about.

>  > Please:
>  > 	1) do it only for pcconsole, comconsole doesn't need it
>
> Not.  What about the case where IDE disks, which CANNOT be issued a
> "flush your cache" call, are still writing their data?

That shouldn't matter after a panic , as we don't turn the power of
and just reboot.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center