Subject: Re: delay before cpu_reset()
To: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/09/1998 14:27:48
David Seifert writes:
> >> does some object to this change ?
> >
> > That would slow the reboot process down even more.   If it were
> > interruptible, I guess I wouldn't mind, but otherwise, ick.
>
> It strikes me as the wrong approach.  In many (most?) cases
> there will not be a human staring at the console to see whatever
> flashes by, plus there is often too much to fit on a screen and/or
> memorize anyway.
>
> The real solution is to log the info somewhere.

There is no where to log the info at that stage of the game, and
having this tiny delay would actually help me debugging a problem I've
had for the last year on my laptop. I sympathize with the original
sentiment.

Remember, this only catches messages at the VERY END of the reboot
process, at which point you can't syslog or otherwise save anything.

> There is the serial terminal with lots of scrollback approach, or
> use a printer, or a tip/cu line from another machine.

How does any of this help me reading the message the APM subsystem is
printing on my laptop during the last stage of my reboots?

Perry