Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.3.2 Y2K problem
To: NG Yew Ban <ybng@cpm.com.my>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/08/1998 02:02:26
"NG Yew Ban" writes:
>         I tested my PC again with other Y2K scan tools AMI2000.EXE (from
> American MegaTrends) and Yes2K, I found that the result is different with
> NTSL YMARK2000, my PC failed at RTC Y2000 roll over test.
>
>         I wrote a program RTC.C to access the CMOS RAM directly bypassing
> BIOS, it is confirm that my PC fail when roll over from Y1999 to Y2000 (it
> has rolled over to 1900). But my BIOS is Y2K compliance.
>
>         Here I attach my program RTC.C for your reference.
>
>         Is any help for running NetBSD in non-Y2K compliance RTC BUT Y2K
> compliance BIOS PC ?

I'm writing code (which may go into NetBSD 1.3.3) to handle the
century byte. Previously NetBSD was largely ignoring this byte, and
simply assuming that a year < 70 indicated a date past 2000.
Many machines fail to set the century byte properly and it is unsafe
for us to depend on it being set, but there is no reason I can't make
the resettodr routine handle setting the century byte properly.

Perry