Subject: Re: OK to allow raw SCSI requests on tapes?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/1998 23:22:53
Hi,

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > > Are there objections?
> >
> >My only concern about this is that you could issue a raw read command,
> >which could screw up the internal state-keeping of the tape driver...
> >
> >On the other hand, we supply the rope...
> >

> I think this is probably why the restriction was there. If you're
> sophisticated enough to use a program which uses a raw scsi command,
> you're sophisticated to handle what it does.

And I think that this fact should be documented at a place that
someone who uses uses this raw scsi interface will look, i.e
putting some comments into the code and probably add a
paragraph to the apropriate man page. This will keep people
wondering from what's going on, next time someone has a look
at the code :-)

Just my $ 0.02,

  Guenther