Subject: Re: (2nd send) opinion sought about EOM handling for tapes
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/14/1998 19:11:52
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> Okay, but unless I'm missing something, that means a synthesized
> return of exactly zero. This seems (to me) to conflict with your
> earlier statement that the driver would guarantee a "non-zero
> residual" since I have been reading that as implying a "short write"
> returning something between zero and the request count.

I think that Todd and Matthew are using the term "residual" in opposite
ways.  Todd seems to mean "the value returned by the write() call, which
is the number of bytes successfully written", and Matthew seems to mean
"the number of bytes left over, *not* successfully written".

Fix that terminology difference, and I think that they really agree with
each other.

--apb (Alan Barrett)