Subject: Re: multisegment memory problems
To: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/14/1998 08:38:42
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Guenther Grau wrote:

> Can we collect some data of the machines with problems?
> Are you all running UVM? Anything else these machines have in common?

sparc64 kernel with 64MB RAM trying to build gnu binutils-2.8.1.  Sure
sounds like the same problem, but I have not been able to verify that it
is related to >16MB.

I'm also getting occasional corruption of source files.  I found this to
be somewhat random; if I repeated the same operation I would continue
to get the same error, but if I deleted all the object files and started
over again it would fail in different ways.  If I kept track of all object
files and  only deleted corrupted ones I could nurse it through a complete
build.

I think I was seeing this with the old VM as well, but reverting to verify
this will be a bit difficult.

I'm curious about this `multisegment' business.  I have one segment of
physical RAM with holes in it for the kernel and whatever memory the OBP
allocated.  What is the SHARC memory model?

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me