Subject: Re: CompactFLASH support?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/1998 11:09:46
In message <19980630114339.38111@pyy.jmp.fi>  Jukka Marin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am involved in a project which uses CompactFLASH memory cards.  These
> cards are manufactured by Sandisk and some other companies and are muchs
> maller than PCMCIA cards.  CompactFLASH cards look like IDE disks to the
> host and come in capacities of 4 MB to 24 MB and more.  These cards can
> be plugged directly to PCMCIA slots using a passive adapter card.  CF
> cards are used in digital cameras, some GSM phones and other small
> portable devices.  I think they are usually ms-dos formatted so they can
> be read on "any" machine.
>
> How hard would it be to add support for these cards in NetBSD?

They are supported (ok 99%) I'll send a PR with my mods later today.

I had to add a small hack to wd_pcmcia.c to recognize the SAN disk and
to skip the memory only mapping and the generic mapping.
The latter one should be fixed somewhere else, but I didn't had time to
figure out why and where it broke.

There should be a quirk entry for the SANdisk as it shows up as
wdc-controller with 2 drives with identical contents. Also the
current wd driver may will fail if you disconnect/reattach a
card (especially if it has a different size).

I do have a memory mapping driver somewhere (for a pre 1.3 NetBSD
because some COMPAQ's seem to only bridge IO-addresses dicovered at
boottime to ISA (and I had a ISA/PCMCIA card in that system).

I'm using one to get the pictures of my digital camera into the
machine.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center