Subject: Re: DDB documentation and machine specific commands
To: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/1998 09:00:12
> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Erik E. Fair wrote:
>
> > In addition, Jonathan Stone has suggested that a "halt" command be added to
> > the generic DDB command set, with a rough interpretation of "return control
> > to whatever PROM monitor exists on this machine".
>
> It would also be nice to see commands that dump buf structures and scsipi
> structures.  Really helps debug I/O hangs.

Uh, don't take this the wrong way, but:

KGDB is capable of doing everything you want, and does it in a much,
much nicer environment than DDB.

You can even write scripts for it...

If your favorite port doesn't support debugging with KGDB, it's
probably best to either fix it or badger somebody into fixing it.

DDB may be nice when you've got a single isolated system, but except
in that case, I have no idea why anyone would _ever_ want to use it.

cgd