Subject: Re: ddb & shared libs: first results
To: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/22/1998 10:42:24
On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 02:03:01 -0000 (GMT)
 jiho@postal.c-zone.net wrote:

 > This ddb is a VERY nifty widget.  Had I known about ddb before, I could have
 > found this out a long time ago, and not clogged up the mailing list with so
 > much nonsense.  Y'all ought to "advertise" ddb a little better, and provide an
 > explanation how to invoke it.  I had to visit the FreeBSD web site to find out
 > how to drop into it.  (Some might argue the output could be cleaned up and
 > organized a little better, but that's nitpicking.)
 >
 > I see ddb is from Mach...so Mach was good for something, after all!

Mach was also the original source of the VM system that we've run on for
a very long time... :-)

In any case, we've had DDB _forever_.  It's not really a new feature at all.
There is a manual page on it (ddb(4)), and comments about it in the kernel
config files, and in options(4).

The invocation of DDB is actually machine-dependent, and more specifically,
console device-dependent.  There is no single canonical way of invoking the
in-kernel debugger.

 > We remove ld.so's 28K of dead bss from the 64K, and get 36K.  Take another 8K
 > for the process stack and data, and another 8K for ld.so's data and native bss.
 > That leaves 20K due to additional overhead from ld.so and the two C library
 > functions.  Hmmm...that's still not very efficient.

...how much of this can be attributed to the GOT that needs to be patched
up in the run-time link phase?