Subject: Re: shared library support
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/19/1998 10:55:05
On 19-Mar-98 jiho@mail.c-zone.net wrote:

> If you look at the results (recently posted in my second go at this) you'll
> see my test program generates some 8 pages (64K) for each new instance of the
> shared library case, where the static case generates only 2 (8K).  Which is
> what you'd expect if the runtime linker (ld.so) and the small amount of shared
> library code being used were copied for each instance, in addition to what you
> describe.

Check that -- 64K is 16 pages on the i386.  So it's even worse.

I just read a message from Chuck Cranor claiming that ld.so has 7 pages (28K)
of bss assigned to it.  He claims to account for all but 3 pages (12K) of the
16, though, so I'll have to look at his arguments.

7 pages of bss for ld.so is pretty outrageous, is my initial reaction.  What
could it possibly be doing for such a tiny program?

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 19-Mar-98
Time: 10:55:05