Subject: Re: Detaching devices
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/1998 19:05:37
Excerpts from netbsd: 11-Feb-98 Re: Detaching devices Bill
Studenmund@loki.sta (758*)

> Adding un/load support wouldn't be that bad, if we centralized all of the
> softnet stuff (as you mentioned in your message). I think FreeBSD has a
> way for protocols to register and de-register themselves.  We could/should
> copy their work.

The FreeBSD netisr builds on an assembler implementation
of the dispatcher - it's i386 only for now.
(should be possible to have a generic C version however)
And it is for "softnet" only - a really generic softirq implementation
(if there comes one) would make it obsolete.

best regards
Matthias