Subject: Re: Detaching devices
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/1998 09:13:57
On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Excerpts from netbsd: 10-Feb-98 Re: Detaching devices Bill
> Studenmund@loki.sta (1143*)
>
> > I've worked on changes to permit removing network interfaces. The changes
> > maintain reference counts on ifnets and ifaddrs.
>
> Did you think of loading/unloading network protocols as well?
> Would be a good thing to have.

Not really. I had originally wanted to just add ifnet reference counting,
but then the project balooned to include ifaddr's.

Adding un/load support wouldn't be that bad, if we centralized all of the
softnet stuff (as you mentioned in your message). I think FreeBSD has a
way for protocols to register and de-register themselves.  We could/should
copy their work.

Take care,

Bill