Subject: Re: shell scripts in an emulation environment
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1998 20:51:06
On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, matthew green wrote:

: "in my world, where linux doesn't exist" ... we have this exact problem
: with vendor software, that will *only* run on a particular release of
: the host OS.

Right--you'd want the userland to specify the version for most emulations
(probably excluding Linux, where kernel version has no correlation with libc
version); most OS's have a very defined paradigm shift in shared C library
functions from release to release.  We may emulate the syscalls for Solaris
2.6, say, but an admin may only have Solaris 2.4 shlibs installed.  That can
mean a very serious difference in the installation or running procedure of
an emulated program.  So we need to have a way to specify, from the
userland, the "release" of the emulation.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price