Subject: None
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/1998 16:38:42
>> That aside, I think Bill's idea of searching under /emul/<OS> for
>> #!-path interpreters is correct: some shell scripts may depend on bug
>> compatiblity (or just version differences) with a given vendor shell.

>Ok. Any suggestions on how to do it? :-)

Two years ago I proposed rewriting the emul path-prefixing as a
single, data-driven service.  Just put the string name of an emul into
the in-kernel structure for an emul. Create CHECK_ALT_EXISTS which
pulls the emul name from the calling process' struct emul, rather than
a hardcoded version for each number.

Then a single implementation of most of the path-prefixing emul
syscalls can be shared across _all_ emuls. I think the list is:

	<FOO>_sys_creat
	<FOO>_sys_access
	<FOO>_sys_stat43
	<FOO>_sys_lstat43
	<FOO>_sys_execv
	<FOO>_sys_execve
	<FOO>_sys_mknod

Christos was heartily approving when I suggested this, way back when.
I'd do that and fold an alt-interpreter interpreter check into it too,
if I had time.