Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/16/1998 06:27:23
According to Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG> :

> I have not yet changed mknod(8) or ls(1) (except to try out a three part
> split on ls).  I'm just trying to address the cosmetic issues, which at the
> base, aren't even problems.  Restructuring dev_t as you proposed just adds
> marginal readability at the cost of kernel cruft and additional
> compatibility issues.

I think it's time the emphasis here got changed a touch (mudslinging
being evidently ready to pop up): which of the two proposals - Todd's
extension vs minor split - scales better to 64-bits?

I think we should expand to 64-bits now, but that may be a little
premature given the most common architecture.  As a compromise, the
mechanism that makes it easiest to upgrade to 64-bits should be
favoured.

--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.