Subject: Re: dev_t changes & partitions
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/1998 12:18:35

> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> :  > Amiga (inside RDB structure).  SPARC (SunOS label not big enough?).  Others?
> :
> : Um... no...
> :
> : On Amiga (and others that use similar self-describing partition map
> : formats, like the Mac, I think), you can have arbitrary number of partitions
> : each with arbitrary IDs.  NetBSD/amiga doens't put a disklabel inside
> : an RDB partition, but rather uses the RDB partition map directly.
>
> I know this.  The reason I mentioned it was... why couldn't it write a BSD
> disklabel inside a RDB entry if the user so desired?  That's something I
> wanted when I was running /amiga....

But you could just as easily stick a vnd in one of the amiga partitions,
then put all the extra partitions in the vnd. That _should_ work now.

The thing which concerns me about slices is that we'll be sticking disklabels
inside of disklabels. That means a LOT of mess if it all gets rolled
into one layer of the device driver (i.e. we don't silently add vnd's
to generate the sliced-up partitions).

MRB disks must deal with this problem. I'd prefer that the other ports
not get it thrust abon them.

Take care,

Bill