Subject: Re: 32 bit dev_t, Revision 2
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/1998 19:35:56
Todd Vierling writes:
> I dunno, do we at least want to specify device number ranges for MI and MD
> so we don't start using up device numbers for platform specific devices
> starting at `1'?  Seems kinda pointless to me to have a whole bunch of NULL
> entries in `the table' for devices for other platforms.

It also seems pointless and wastefull to have a giant table that has
all 4k entries, which starting the static devices at 2k would
force. By starting them at 1, one can say "if the major number >
MAXDEV_T, punt, then look up" and have a compact table. If one starts
them at 2k, you are pretty much mandating thousands of empty slots.

Anyway, the code to implement most of this doesn't depend on any of
these decisions either way.

Perry