Subject: Re: pnp question
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/1997 18:33:49
>From: wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund)
>Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 23:08:32 -0800 (PST)
>
>I'm trying to get my sound card working under pnp. It's a OPTi931
>chipset card, and fairly full-featured.
>
>My problem is that it boots up in a soundblaster-compatable
>mode. I want to run it in a WSS-compatable mode. I have the
>documents, and think I know how to do this.

Can you give me a URL if Opti has documents on the WWW?  I tried to
access http://www.opti.com/ but wasn't able to convince it to give me
much; it looked like they were trying to play games with frames that
weren't working.

>Since it's a PnP card, part of me wants to just leave it at
>isapnp_config. But AFAICT that will map in the SB regions, not
>the WSS regions.

isapnp maps in all of the regions it finds.

>Can I manually set the chip to WSS mode and then re-scan
>it's desired regions, and isapnp_config those regions?

I'm not sure I understand what you wish to do.  Are you telling me
that PnP resources the part returns depend on whether it's in SB or
WSS mode?  That seems...broken...to me.

>Or should I just blow off isapnp_config and do the mappings manually?

I wouldn't recommend that.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel