Subject: Re: Why does mode_t need 32 bits?
To: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@altair.norstar.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/04/1997 10:10:50
> In message <19971031100236.29787@zoo.bernard.org>Jim Bernard writes
> >On 10 31, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:
> >> Hmmm...  What does Cray do?  Do we expect to have a NetBSD/Cray port
> >> soon?
> >
> >  I don't know about c, but fortran uses 64-bit integers on a Cray.
>
> Yeah, I just checked, and C pretty much uses 64 bits for everything
> but char.
>
> >  Anybody have a spare Cray lying about to use to do a port?
>
> Well, I heard that UNICOS development was stopping with release 10,
> the current release... :-)

	I don't know if people realise that Cray's don't have an MMU, they
	use fences. From my intern days at Cray I know this made life a
	living hell for the OS dudes trying to get UNIX(tm) to work right
	on the 2's, X's and Y's. Obviously they found ways around the lack
	of a traditional MMU but look at our kernel and how much it depends
	on a run of the mill MMU and I think the NetBSD/Cray port might
	cause premature pattern baldness...

		-Rob