Subject: vmmeter questions...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/1997 22:24:31
  I recently added a page meter to xosview, and had a few questions:

  1.  In a struct vmmeter, what is the difference between
    v_pgpgin and v_pageins?  v_pgpgin is listed in
    /usr/include/sys/vmmeter.h as meaning the number of pages
    paged in, while v_pageins is the number of pageins.  I know
    very little about the VM system, so I followed the lead of
    vmstat, and use v_pageins/v_pageouts for the meter.  I
    tried UTSL, and couldn't tell much.  They are only
    referenced in vm_object.c and vm_fault.c in
    /usr/src/sys/vm, I think.

  2.  Is there a reason the vmmeter struct is not accessible via
    sysctl()?  I'd like to remove as much kernel munging from
    xosview as possible, so sysctl is my friend.

  3.  Is there a reason that the sysctl called VM_METER returns a
    struct vmtotal?  (That is, why not call that VM_TOTAL, and add
    a new VM_METER?)  I'm guessing it is for compatibility?

  Thanks in advance!

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering