Subject: Re: Handling multiple lkm's
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/1997 09:03:29

> Excerpts from netbsd: 12-Sep-97 Handling multiple lkm's Darren
> Reed@cyber.com.au (1186*)
>
> > if you plan to use more than 1 LKM, each
> > must have a different entry point - that is xxxinit (the default) can
> > only be used once.  The upshot of this is that for others, you need to
> > manually specify the entry point to modload.

[not a problem with Make file magic ]
> (YMMV)

> After thinking about it: Why can it be used only once? In the
> standard setup, the kernel symbol table will not be updated
> when an LKM is loaded.

Last I heard, the fact that the kernel's symbol table doesn't
get updated is considered a bug. To rely on it'd be bad.

Why not just make filenameinit be the default, and roll back to xxxinit
if it's not found? (Of course -e would still override all this).

Take care,

Bill