Subject: kvm
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John R. Daily <jdaily@bbn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/1997 15:03:26
I'm using the kvm facility to access a data structure in the
kernel, and I'd like to know a little bit more about the
internals, as I'm obtaining odd results.

I have several different kernel builds, and under certain
ones, I obtain the correct data with kvm_read, and under
others, my structure is filled with completely erroneous
values.

What would cause this to happen, assuming that the
structure itself is not at fault (which is a reasonably
safe assumption, although something I'm going to test
separately)?

And similarly, what causes this error from dmesg on the same
kernel:

dmesg: kvm_read: kvm_read: Bad address

(To avoid confusing the issue, note that kvm_open & kvm_read
return success in my custom application.)

--
John R. Daily
jdaily@bbn.com