Subject: Re: if_delete * if_alloc
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/09/1997 14:02:49
At 07:46 PM 7/9/97 +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
>[postpone softc revoval]
>
>> Anyhow, I don't like that idea so much... It seems much less correct to
>> me... But, I don't have the time or energy to get into an argument about
>> it, so...
>
>Perhaps I can help here :-)
>The softc removal should happen in a higher level
>of the driver LKM load/unload code because
>this is needed for all devices, whether it is a network
>interface or not.

But the driver should be able to veto/delay of freeing of the
softc because there may be outstanding references to it
that the driver load/unload doesn't know about.  When asked
to unload, the driver will say no.  When ready, the driver
will inidicate that it can be deleted.  the unload code (from a
clean stack) will then free the softc and unload the driver.
>best regards
>Matthias

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Nashua, NH                Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message